Using DMD2 on Ubuntu 9.04 x64?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Feb 3 00:30:08 PST 2010

Jesse Phillips wrote:
> retard Wrote:
>
>>> Intel 64 is AMD64. Intel dropped their 64-bit implementation, EM64T,
>>> after AMD won.
>> That's bullshit, but I guess it doesn't matter, because most software
>> uses the compatible subset of both versions.
>>
>> See:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Differences_between_AMD64_and_Intel_64
>
> Yes, there are differences, but the fact remains that Intel had to develop its implementation to mimic AMD64[1].
>
> 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#History_of_Intel_64
>
> "Intel found itself in the position of adopting the architecture which AMD had created as an extension to Intel's own x86 processor line."

Yes, but EM64T _was_ AMD64. That part of your post was wrong. It was
Itanium they dropped.

I don't think the differences between AMD's AMD64 and Intel's clone of
AMD64 are any more significant than the differences between AMD and
Intel for 32 bit. Obviously Intel marketing refuses to call it AMD64,
but that's what it is. You could call it x86-64 to avoid that issue, but
I don't think anyone should ever use the term "Intel64" unless they work
for Intel.