TDPL a bad idea?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:21:01 PST 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Bane" <branimir.milosavljevic at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:hkbqtb$rl2$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky Wrote:
>>
>>> "Justin Johansson" <no at spam.com> wrote in message
>>> news:hka8ju$1as2$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> That's one of the big reasons I lost interest in multiplayer FPSes.
>>> Getting
>>> fragged every three seconds gets old fast. And I'm sure as hell not good
>>> enough to do any better than that at it ;)
>>>

>> Most of them have difficulty level setting. Select "for granny's", it
>> might help >:D

Wait... multiplayer games with difficulty settings?  Can't remember ever
seeing one of those.

> Somehow I doubt it would help me ;)
>
> (And actually, skill-based matchmaking didn't come around until after I lost
> interest anyway.)

It never works, anyway.

My brother picked up that FPS about fish... what was it?  COD 4: Modern
Warfare, or something.

Anyway.  First multiplayer game he ever played, the enemy team was
stacked with high-level players who could (and I kid you not) shoot and
see through walls.

You might think this was done via exploit.  You'd be wrong.  It's
actually how the game is designed.  People who have played longer are
matched against newbies and given weapons that mean said newbies cannot
possibly fight back.

And then the experienced players nuke your entire team and just win.

Oh, and they also appear to have a higher resistance to bullets.  You
know, just to rub it in.