TDPL a bad idea?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Feb 3 23:16:50 PST 2010

"Daniel Keep" <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:hkcsrv$2qis$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Bane" <branimir.milosavljevic at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:hkbqtb$rl2$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Most of them have difficulty level setting. Select "for granny's", it
>>> might help >:D
>
> Wait... multiplayer games with difficulty settings?  Can't remember ever
> seeing one of those.

I miss when game difficulty settings had silly names like "For Granny's",
etc. :)

>> Somehow I doubt it would help me ;)
>>
>> (And actually, skill-based matchmaking didn't come around until after I
>> lost
>> interest anyway.)
>
> It never works, anyway.

Ahh, that explains why it never seemed to help me the few times I've tried
it. Although I wonder if it could be that there's just not many other
newbies to play with (which in turn is probably because, like me, they
quickly get frustrated and give up).

> My brother picked up that FPS about fish... what was it?  COD 4: Modern
> Warfare, or something.

Ha!

And this time I've been avoiding that series because I thought it was just
another of those military-FPSes! (I really do miss the days of FPSes that
had *creative* themes and didn't take themselves so damn seriously.)

I would totally pick up an FPS about cod. Or even salmon for that matter.
(But not tuna, they're all so smug, thinking they're all great with their
little tin cans, and their...umm, nevermind.)

> Anyway.  First multiplayer game he ever played, the enemy team was
> stacked with high-level players who could (and I kid you not) shoot and
> see through walls.
>
> You might think this was done via exploit.  You'd be wrong.  It's
> actually how the game is designed.  People who have played longer are
> matched against newbies and given weapons that mean said newbies cannot
> possibly fight back.
>
> And then the experienced players nuke your entire team and just win.
>
> Oh, and they also appear to have a higher resistance to bullets.  You
> know, just to rub it in.

Wow. Even more reason to miss the days of dialing up a buddy on a nice
high-speed 14.4 or 28.8 for some Rise of The Triad goodness.

BTW: Regarding the nuking mechanic (first panel cracks me up):
http://www.digitalunrestcomic.com/index.php?date=2009-11-02