TDPL a bad idea?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Fri Feb 5 08:52:59 PST 2010

Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:20:51 +0000, BCS wrote:

> Hello Gareth,
>

>> I actually like the newsgroup format (more than modern web forums) now
>> that I've gone to the trouble of setting up Thunderbrid but I guess
>> they did put me off initially.
>>
>> Well, that's one data point for you.
>>

> I've said it before, but I might as well say it again; I'm of the same
> opinion, News groups are my first choice for online communities. I think
> the primary reasons for this is that it 1) doesn't require me to keep
> hitting refresh, 2) works offline and 3) allows me to use whatever
> interface I darn well choose.
>
> If D were to quit providing a NNTP interface, I'd loose interest in
> participating in these discussions. Heck, (HINT, HINT, HINT) the fact
> that Tango has a forum rather than a news group is half or more of the
> reason I don't use it.

It's interesting to see that even though modern web page/app developers
have spent enormous effort on usability issues, techies still don't like
it. The sad fact is that web forums are more or less a poor copy of the
good old usenet newsgroups. The new format requires more bandwidth and
server capacity, has more security holes, and all kinds of other issues
(larger latencies, all kinds of retards posting spam, the apps don't
appear in my start menu). Almost all network capable applications I use
deal with other protocols than the web 2.0 crap - irc, nntp, torrent,
rtsp, sip, smtp/imap, ssh, nx, etc.