TDPL a bad idea?

Roman Ivanov isroman-del at ete-km.ru
Sat Feb 6 14:08:16 PST 2010

On 2/5/2010 11:52 AM, retard wrote:
> The sad fact is that web forums are more or less a poor copy of the
> good old usenet newsgroups. The new format requires more bandwidth and
> server capacity

That's a questionable statement. Yes, in a forums you re-download the
same posts several times. However, in a newsgroup you download them as
well - inside quotes.

Web forums also much more flexible, and have many more features than
news groups. You can do formatting, post inline images and proper
hyperlinks for starters. You can easily access them from public
computers. Also, the developers can extend their functionality based on
the topic, like adding tags for code folding and laguage-specific
highlighting. People can edit their posts if they make a mistake.
Administrators can delete messages. I can go on and on with this list.

In short, if the forum is properly designed, the difference in bandwidth
is small, while the difference in functionality is enormous.

I'd probably agree if you said that HTML and HTTP should be replaced
with better, more modern and efficient protocols _with the same general
idea behind them_.

>, has more security holes

That is not self-evident either. Unless I'm missing something, anyone
can post under anyone's name here.

> , all kinds of retards posting spam

I don't think the software is to blame for that. I mean, yes, software
does have an effect on the kind of people who use it, but there is
nothing inherent to web forums that attracts the lower grade of users.