TDPL a bad idea?

BCS none at anon.com
Sun Feb 7 14:09:15 PST 2010

Hello Roman,

I guess you and I have massively different opinions on this because I see
it exactly the other way.

> Still, every time two or more people decide to answer to the same
> message, they inadvertently create new thread branches.

The linear mode prevents each reply from becoming it's own branch.

> To read new
> replies (which are usually all over the place) you need to keep
> switching contexts.

The linear model presents replies in such an order that more often than not
sequential posts are not on the same context so I have to, more often than
not, switch contexts for every single reply.

> I'd say the only reason it's manageable is because
> of massive embedded quotes.

In a tree mode, quoting is only *needed* indicating what part of a post you
are replying to. In the linear mode quoting is *needed* just to give context
if you reply to anything BUT the tail end of the thread.

What people actually *do* is a social problem, not a technical one.

> With a linear thread, you can respond to several posts with just one
> message. Even better, you can respond to an entire thread without
> using quotations at all,

OK, I'll give you that one.

> so it is possible to have something akin to a
> real-life conversation with several people.

One of the things I LIKE about NGs are that they DON'T have that aspect (anything
said is implicitly in reply to only the most recent context) of real-life
conversations. Unless you are trying to prevent long detailed dialog (and
there are good reasons to do that in some contexts), intentionally bringing
that in is just stupid.

As a side note, I see an interesting analogy between this conversation and
memory models in CPUs: IIRC, the older CPUs enforced a total order on memory
operations but as the latency on operations grew relative to the latency
on local operations, the models started refusing to enforce a total order
but rather only enforced a partial order. I see a similar situation here.
Chat protocols (IRC) expect near-real-time response loops out of the user
and can get away with a nearly pure linear model. offline protocols like
newsgroups and e-mail expect that some users might not even see a post before
others have cycled several times through their response loop. Those protocols
generally present only a partial order.

--
<IXOYE><