Coverity tool

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Feb 9 01:45:42 PST 2010

bearophile wrote:
> Rarely I have found a so fun description of a software, how they can
> (barely?) make it a commercial product, the problems they find. The
> program is a bug finding tool, for C, C++, Java, C#:
> http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2010/2/69354-a-few-billion-lines-of-code-later/fulltext
>

> I think it's an interesting read for people that are creating a new
> language :-)

Coverity's business model seems to be based on being very vague about
what their software actually does, and being even more evasive about
what they charge to use it.

 From what I can infer from their various statements, the primary thing
it does is pair functions that must be paired, like malloc/free,
lock/unlock, fopen/fclose, etc.

This is ably handled in D using the scope guard statement.

It does some other things like very limited array bounds checking, also
already handled by D which does full array bounds checking.