Coverity tool

sybrandy sybrandy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:02:35 PST 2010

>> - Use Before Test: here the bugs are in the code paths of the try-except.
>
> Not sure what this means.

If I remember correctly from when I had an opportunity to look at these
types of tools, this is a case where, in C or C++, you have a variable
that may be uninitialized or set to NULL, but you don't test for it
until you have tried to use it.  I believe the root cause of this bug
has nothing to do with the language, but with people going back into
code they don't fully understand and trying to either A) use the
variable and not know that the check is in there or B) they put the
check in to "fix" a bug, but didn't put it in the correct spot.

Needless to say, with D setting variables to reasonable defaults, I
believe this is mitigated, but not entirely prevented.