How DMD's -w *Prevents* Me From Seeing My Warnings

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Thu Feb 11 14:57:06 PST 2010

daoryn wrote:
> You missed the point: theres an annoying bug in DMD and a fix has
> been available for it for 1 year and its still accumulating dust on
> bugzilla. The Original Author is not complaining about C's author,
> he's complaining about a bug in the compiler.

No, I completely agree with the original post.  '-w' is broken.  We all
know that.  I'm just forestalling any attempt to shift the blame to the
author of C.

A conforming D implementation is allowed to warn about anything it wants
to.  A conforming D implementation is not allowed to turn these warnings
into errors, because that breaks valid code.  Therefore DMD with '-w' is
not a conforming D implementation.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com