How not to be seen!

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Feb 12 13:49:42 PST 2010

"Manfred_Nowak" <svv1999 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9D1DDC8ACE272svv1999hotmailcom at 65.204.18.192...
> http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Small-But-Rapidly-Growing.aspx
>
> -manfred

Sounds a lot like a place I worked at a few years ago (let's just say:
"recruiter software" and "mst"). This line in particular is exactly how
things worked there: "as soon as someone bought that feature, developer
would be responsible for adding it in." That's what happens when salesmen
are allowed to run a company.

Like David, we too had loads of code obfuscation, except that our
obfuscation was a result of lazy, incompetent developers and a constant
management (and development team!) attitude of "just get it in as fast as
possible, and then move on to fight the next fire" (which obviously is a
strategy that *breeds* fires in the first place). In fact the code was bad
enough to make TheDailyWTF:
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/We_Have_Met_the_Enemy.aspx (The first part,
with "Nate") In addition to the issues mentioned, there was also one
instance of a data-loading function named "save". Took me a while to figure
that one out (especially considering all the other forms of obfuscation
mixed in there).

Like David, we too had a lot of noise in the developer room. Except our
noise wasn't from a salesman gong, it was from the other developers. One of
the developers (the one who happened to be a co-founder of the company) kept
yelling "Pinky!" at random intervals (I swear I'm not making that up). That
actually went on for the entire year I was there, and all signs indicated he
had been doing that long before I started, and yet he still never tired of
it. Another developer would never stop yapping about things that has nothing
to do with work, but to top it off he couldn't go more than one sentence
without using some form of the word "fuck" at least three times. And no,
that's not an exaggerated figure. I don't get offended at words like that,
but the sheer repetition of any one word is plenty irritating. And then
there were the noise-making company-branded Yo-Yo's (not to be confused with
the noise-making Yo-Yo's that actually worked on the development team). And,
of course, there was the developer who decided he didn't need headphones for
*his* music (But then, there seems to always be one of those people).

And not only did I get scolded for things, like David, that had been
obviously outside my control, but they fired me on the spot for them (and on
the first and only time they had brought the issues up with me). The issues
included (off-the-top-of-my-head-examples): Not showing up at meetings that
nobody bothered to tell me important things about (such as time, place, and
the fact there there even was a meeting at all). Moving my desk away from
the developers and down to the basement (I had been moved there by one of
the many managers, not on my own accord, and in fact this particular manager
was sitting right there in the room, right next to me, at the time I was
being fired for this. He said nothing.). For allegedly leaving the building
to go to lunch (which, first of all, why would that be a problem?, second of
all, it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the rulebook, and thirdly but most
importantly, I hadn't even been doing that anyway). For being slow to get a
particular feature in (note the obfuscated code above, and the fact that
it's a hell of a lot easier for obfuscated code to be understood by the
people who actually wrote it in the first place). And, for, and I swear I'm
neither making this up nor twisting the words: I "wasn't social enough".