How DMD's -w *Prevents* Me From Seeing My Warnings

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Feb 12 14:07:25 PST 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hl4hkj$2n7m$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Royal PITA every single time. (And a <20 line trivial fix has been
>> sitting in bugzilla for nearly a year, #2567, hell, I'll update and
>> resubmit if that'll help get it in.)
>
> This is a different way to address the issue. Warnings do not halt
> parsing/semantic passes, but dmd still exits with an error status if there
> were any warnings.
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/changeset/382

Ok, that is a big improvement (thanks!!!), but this still remains:

1. I compile my program, with warnings as I always do (because I want to be
told about them, and as early as possible).
2. I fix all my errors, but I get a warning in an external library.
3. Now I have to go modify my build script and recompile just to get the
output files that DMD arbitrarily refused to give me before (and then go
edit my built script again to turn them back on). Which is not impossible,
but it's all for...what benefit exactly? I mean, even if there were a
legitimate reason for forcing any warnings to suppress output files (and I
very much dispute that there is), the fact I can get the same damn output
files anyway by shutting the warnings off and recompiling renders the whole
"feature" pointless. You may as well just write the output files anyway and
save people the bother of working around it.