How DMD's -w *Prevents* Me From Seeing My Warnings

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 18:50:22 PST 2010

Walter Bright wrote:
<snip>
> Use
>     make
>
> to do a regular build, and
>
>     make warnings
<snip>

Problem with having them as two separate build modes for the whole project:

Let's call my modules X and Y.  X depends on a library module, call it
Z.  Z triggers a warning.  I've ridden X of warnings, now it's time to
look at Y.  However, compiling X will still fail because of the warnings
in Z and, because of the build sequence, this stops Y from being checked
for warnings.

How about having an option whereby warnings cause the compiler to emit
an error code but still generate the .obj?  That way, the user can
choose to ignore the warnings in that one module by just running make again.

Having warnings generated only for the module being compiled and not
modules it imports would solve most cases of this but, when the library
code is a template, I can see there being cases where you'd want the
warnings and cases where you'd want to ignore them.

Stewart.