"The last feature": scope structs

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 21:24:04 PST 2010

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> bearophile wrote:
> > Andrei Alexandrescu:
> >> Scope classes will be eliminated from the language.
> >
> > Isn't it better to remove scope classes after a good escape analysis
> > is implemented in the front-end?
> Escape analysis can still be used to put class instantiations on the
> stack - it's just that that will be a compiler optimization, not a user one.

But the compiler has to be relatively conservative about this, whereas the user
can take advantage of knowing how his/her program works at a high level.  That
said, I'm in favor of removing scope classes from the core language because their
RAII purpose has been taken over by structs and their optimization purpose should
be fulfilled via an uglier, more dangerous looking and more general library
construct.  Such a library construct should also allow strong class instances
inline in other class instances.