foreach_reverse is better than ever

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 05:57:23 PST 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 14 de febrero a las 11:18 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >Michel Fortin, el 14 de febrero a las 07:48 me escribiste:

> >>Agree.
> >>
> >>My dictionary says: "retro": imitative of a style, fashion, or
> >>design from the recent past.
> >>
> >>It's an amusing name in the way Andrei likes it, but the meaning
> >>isn't very clear. "reverse" would be a better name.
> >
> >This is a pattern in Andrei, which I think it really hurts the language
> >(the names are very clever and funny, but that shouldn't be the point of
> >a name, a name should be clear).
>
> At least in this case being funny was not the point. I needed a name
> that was (a) short, (b) different from "reverse", (c) memorable. It
> is understood that other paint colors are available, but please
> don't forget to give a little love to the painter. :o) It would be

I'm not trying to hurt you :)

I just pointing out that you sometimes pick up clever or creative or
niche names, which might look like a good idea to you but it's not for me.
They are different points of view, I'm sure a lot of people would "look,
D has these very clever names, it sure is a good language", but I think,
from a practical point of view, that it's a bad idea because they are less
natural and harder to learn, remember and *read*.

> of course best if names that arguably hurt the language were
> changed, so please compile a list.

Well, they were discussed several times, sometimes with huge threads (like
the range methods names). iota() is another really hard to
remember/understand name for me (I said that before). I just didn't know
what iota() was before you used it in phobos. I even couldn't follow some
examples before I searched what iota was (which it took me some time
because I was a little embarrassed that I didn't knew its meaning =).