D2 Closure

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Wed Feb 17 08:11:47 PST 2010

Just a few days ago, Walter was talking about 'the final feature'. Andrei
is going through the tedious and unpleasant process of finalizing TDPL
with his publisher. In a minute it will be March, so to get anything
finalized by the summer of 2010 is already looking like a stretch.

Now we have a whole new slew of suggestions for change.

I think that at some point the membership of digitalmars.D needs to
accept that there is a deadline, and that further discussion of the ideal
language refers to D3.

Another provocative way of thinking about this is that D2 is already 'E',
unless the faithful users of D1 and Tango are to be unceremoniously
dumped. In that case, the discussions that have suddenly flared up now
are about 'F'.

Time to choose. Will D ever be a widely used programming language, or is
it just a excellent vehicle for discussion of programming language
features?

Steve