D2 Closure

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Feb 18 14:07:12 PST 2010

On 2010-02-18 16:11:39 -0500, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmail.com> said:

> Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> Would't that be nice to be able to use the 'default' keyword when you
>> want to use the default value for a parameter? Should be pretty trivial
>> to implement.
>
> Except that to some extent, that would defeat the purpose of default
> parameters. Part of the idea is that you don't have to worry about their
> existence unless you actually want to change them. If you're going to have
> to put the word default there, then in many cases, you might as well just
> put an actual value yourself.
>
> The one thing that word default would give you would be the ability to
> choose the the default value for parameters in the middle of the parameter
> list and still give values for parameters at the end. But that's just extra
> complication and likely wouldn't be worth the benefit.

I don't see the complication you talk about. It's no complication
unless you use it, and if you feel the need to use it it's probably
because there's a benefit. You can still call functions with default
parameters by omitting the parameters if you want, I'm not trying to
change that.

	void test(int a = 1, int b = 2);

	test();                 // same as test(1, 2);
	test(8);                // same as test(8, 2);
	test(default, 8);       // same as test(1, 8); <- here it's useful

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/