Whither Tango?

dave eveloper tango at land.net
Fri Feb 19 05:33:54 PST 2010

Ezneh Wrote:

> So, it is not better to find a compromise between these libraries ?
> Why they have to be "two" libraries rather than one which was designed by larsivi, Walter Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu ?

I haven't seen larsivi around lately. Is it possible that there's a communication problem? Perhaps a personality mismatch?

Because of silly symbol names like 'retro' I think there's more reason for someone to not like Phobos. Bearophile also always reminds us that a proper closure inlining support would make collection algorithms as fast as the ugly string template hack Phobos. That way you wouldn't have hard coded parameter symbols like a and b.

Wasn't Tango an object oriented hardcore framework for large applications, and Phobos a procedural simple stdio wrapper for smaller scripts. I think it wouldn't be so bad if there was a "Mini-d" dialect of D that has focus on programming in the small things and a "Mega-d" that comes with Java/C# like massive libraries and enterprise support.