Whither Tango?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Feb 19 06:11:11 PST 2010

dave eveloper wrote:
> Ezneh Wrote:
>
>> So, it is not better to find a compromise between these libraries ?
>>  Why they have to be "two" libraries rather than one which was
>> designed by larsivi, Walter Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu ?
>
> I haven't seen larsivi around lately. Is it possible that there's a
> communication problem? Perhaps a personality mismatch?
>
> Because of silly symbol names like 'retro' I think there's more
> reason for someone to not like Phobos. Bearophile also always reminds
> us that a proper closure inlining support would make collection
> algorithms as fast as the ugly string template hack Phobos. That way
> you wouldn't have hard coded parameter symbols like a and b.

If you could provide a list of silly named symbols that could be a
dealbreaker for a prospective D user, please let me know. Thanks.

Regarding simple lambdas encoded as strings, this:

sort!"a > b"(range);

is just a shortcut for this:

sort!((a, b) {return a > b;})(range);

So Phobos offers more, not less, than a library using delegates throughout.

> Wasn't Tango an object oriented hardcore framework for large
> applications, and Phobos a procedural simple stdio wrapper for
> smaller scripts.

Probably not.

Andrei