From the silent community

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 08:36:18 PST 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:09:18 -0500, Jordi <jordi at rovira.cat> wrote:

>    Yes, I think there is some amount of "despotism" in the way it is
> being done, but i don't understand at all how people can come here to
> complain so much. Guys, if you don't like this, move on to another
> language, fork this one, or stay and try to be constructive, submit
> patches, etc. Many things can be done better, but don't forget how much
> you are paying for this (hint, 0) and how much right you have to be
> angry if this people don't do as you say (hint, none).

Don't take all heated arguments on this news group at face value :)  Most
people here respect each other's opinions and simply have different
opinions on what is better.  Especially with Walter calling the shots, it
becomes almost necessary to mount a very strong argument.  He notoriously
resists change until the last possible moment.  This is both frustrating
and also a very very good thing.  I think without this resistance D would
have disintegrated into a mass of unusable complexity long ago.

There are the perennial complainers that don't add much positive to the
discussion, but even they have good points sometimes.  I'd hate to ask
people to leave the newsgroup because more sets of eyes are better for any
product to become as good as it can be!

Please, everyone continue to have strong opinions and voice them!  Great
ideas do not come from silence.

>    I have great hopes for D2, that will be resolved favorable or not
> after the secret concurrency stuff is published and GDC catches up.

I have to address this, please go to http://lists.puremagic.com to view
all the "secret" concurrency stuff ;)  And phobos discussion.  If you want
to join the list, simply subscribe!  There is no secret here.

-Steve