Whither Tango?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Feb 19 14:14:02 PST 2010

"dave eveloper" <tango at land.net> wrote in message
news:hlm402$1mr0$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Ezneh Wrote:
>
>> So, it is not better to find a compromise between these libraries ?
>> Why they have to be "two" libraries rather than one which was designed by
>> larsivi, Walter Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu ?
>
> I haven't seen larsivi around lately. Is it possible that there's a
> communication problem? Perhaps a personality mismatch?
>
> Because of silly symbol names like 'retro' I think there's more reason for
> someone to not like Phobos. Bearophile also always reminds us that a
> proper closure inlining support would make collection algorithms as fast
> as the ugly string template hack Phobos. That way you wouldn't have hard
> coded parameter symbols like a and b.

Dictionary.com Unabridged, Based on the Random House Dictionary:

retro-

a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin meaning “backward” (retrogress);
on this model, used in the formation of compound words (retrorocket).

So can we stop this "retro is a bad name" nonsense now?

> Wasn't Tango an object oriented hardcore framework for large applications,
> and Phobos a procedural simple stdio wrapper for smaller scripts. I think
> it wouldn't be so bad if there was a "Mini-d" dialect of D that has focus
> on programming in the small things and a "Mega-d" that comes with Java/C#
> like massive libraries and enterprise support.

One of the charters for my SemiTwist D Tools project (
www.dsource.org/projects/semitwist ) is to provide wrappers for Tango's
approach for when you just need something simple. As an example, just the
other day I added "readUnicodeFile" that wraps tango's File.get and
UnicodeBom stuff to provide a single no-mess function to load a text file
written in any UTF format and auto-convert into native-endian UTF-8, 16, or
32, as desired. (Of course, if Tango wants to adopt any of SemiTwist D Tools
into itself, I'm all for it.)