Whither Tango?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Feb 19 19:31:42 PST 2010

Justin Johansson wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "dave eveloper" <tango at land.net> wrote in message
>> news:hlm402$1mr0$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> I haven't seen larsivi around lately. Is it possible that there's a
>>> communication problem? Perhaps a personality mismatch?
>>>
>>> Because of silly symbol names like 'retro' I think there's more
>>> reason for someone to not like Phobos. Bearophile also always reminds
>>> us that a proper closure inlining support would make collection
>>> algorithms as fast as the ugly string template hack Phobos. That way
>>> you wouldn't have hard coded parameter symbols like a and b.
>>>

>> Dictionary.com Unabridged, Based on the Random House Dictionary:
>>
>> retro-
>>
>> a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin meaning “backward”
>> (retrogress); on this model, used in the formation of compound words
>> (retrorocket).
>>
>> So can we stop this "retro is a bad name" nonsense now?
>
> Sure, just include a copy of, or link to, an English dictionary
> alongside D documentation, together with appropriate annotations.

My understanding is that he included it to clarify that it's an
appropriate word, not to explain a rare word such as "nefandous".

> That's tantamount to what you are saying.  imho, use of "silly"
> words like this in the language are a retrograde step.

This is the third time I'm asking: what is a list of allegedly silly
names in phobos? Far as I can tell the case against "retro" and "iota"
is rather tenuous. So what are others? readText? topN? setDifference?
Talk to me.

Andrei