Whither Tango?

KennyTM~ kennytm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 06:16:48 PST 2010

On Feb 20, 10 11:31, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Justin Johansson wrote:
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "dave eveloper" <tango at land.net> wrote in message
>>> news:hlm402$1mr0$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Dictionary.com Unabridged, Based on the Random House Dictionary:
>>>
>>> retro-
>>>
>>> a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin meaning “backward”
>>> (retrogress); on this model, used in the formation of compound words
>>> (retrorocket).
>>>
>>> So can we stop this "retro is a bad name" nonsense now?
>>
>> Sure, just include a copy of, or link to, an English dictionary
>> alongside D documentation, together with appropriate annotations.
>
> My understanding is that he included it to clarify that it's an
> appropriate word, not to explain a rare word such as "nefandous".
>
>> That's tantamount to what you are saying. imho, use of "silly"
>> words like this in the language are a retrograde step.
>
> This is the third time I'm asking: what is a list of allegedly silly
> names in phobos? Far as I can tell the case against "retro" and "iota"
> is rather tenuous. So what are others? readText? topN? setDifference?
> Talk to me.
>

> Andrei

Major silly names:

  - std.file.slurp
  - std.iterator.retro, std.range.retro
  - std.random.dice (it is a discrete distribution...)
  - std.range.cons
  - std.range.iota
  - std.string.chomp, chompPrefix, chop
  - std.string.munch
  - std.string.sformat
  - std.utf.stride (which is totally different from std.range.stride)

Minor annoyances:

  - std.contracts.enforceEx (sounds like Win32 API which you should use
in favor of enforce.)
  - std.path.rel2abs (why not relToAbs?)
  - std.range.sameHead (should be sameFront?)
  - std.stream.Stream.readBlock & writeBlock (sounds like blocking vs
non-blocking operations, esp. for SocketStream.)
  - and many inconsistent naming conventions, e.g.
     * std.string.ljustify vs stripl
     * std.string.countchars (all lower) vs inPattern (CamelCase)