Whither Tango?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Feb 20 10:02:31 PST 2010

Rainer Deyke wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> "iota" is already present with the same semantics in 1.25 languages: C++
>> and Go.
>
> I've never used or encountered it in C++.  Either it's useless (in which
> case it should be dropped), or its name keeps it from being used.

The story is different; iota was one of few functions that Stepanov
defined after the standard process had ended. It's present in most
implementations as an extension. It's not used as often as it could
because it's more awkward with iterators than with ranges.

>> Anyhow, what's a better name?
>
> Since I still don't know what it does, I can't answer that question.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/std_range.html#iota

Andrei