"Consume", "Skip", "Eat", "Munch", "Bite", or...?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:58:44 PST 2010

Oh, and while some names seem odd at first, they can definitely grow on you.
For instance, I thought that retro was quite odd at first, but I'm
definitely starting to like it. I would have suggested reverse (which I
guess was out due to arrays), or maybe rev, but retro is shorter than
reverse and I think ultimately clearer than rev. retro is quite memorable,
is short, isn't an abbreviation, and fits fairly well once you get past the
initial bizarreness of it.

While there may be complaints about some weird function names now, people
will get used to them and may even prefer them. Like many things in Computer
"Science," picking functions names is definitely an art - and a very
imprecise one at that.

- Jonathan M Davis