Whither Tango?

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Sat Feb 20 18:04:27 PST 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:

>>>  - std.random.dice (it is a discrete distribution...)
>> What's wrong with dice?
>>

> I like it, but I can definitely understand that some people might find its
> meaning too indirect. Maybe "std.random.discrete" or "std.random.even" or
> "std.random.regular" or somethingliek that?

If cuteness in a word is at all a relevant factor in deciding upon
a name how about

std.random.dip

Justin's etymology of "dip":

1. Derived from "lucky dip", meaning to draw an item (often a prize)
randomly from a container (often a barrel at a fair or carnival).

2. Derived by contraction of serendipity or serendipitous.

The idea of generating a "serendipitous number" as opposed to generating
(just a) PORN (Plain Old Random Number) by all measures has got to be
cute.  Just so happens, serendipitous in fact, that "serendipitous" is
one of my favorite words.  It's also a pure fluke that the acronym for
Plain Old Random Number turns out be what it is .. I was thinking of
Plain Old Java Object POJO when that came to mind.  :-)

See also (the first link is quite an interesting read)

http://serendipity.ruwenzori.net/index.php/2006/12/03/seredipitous-etymology

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Serendipity

Cheers

Justin Johansson