Whither Tango?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 16:42:08 PST 2010

Rainer Deyke wrote:

> On 2/20/2010 20:44, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> Rainer Deyke wrote:
>>> 'makeRange' is descriptive.  That's what the function does.  It creates
>>> and returns a range, in the D sense of the word "range".
>>
>> Well, technically speaking, it returns a Sequence, but a Sequence is a
>> range. In that case, perhaps makeSequence or genSequence would work.
>
> 'makeSequence' and 'genSequence' both work for me.

If I had to pick one, I'd go for genSequence since I prefer the idea of
"generating" a sequence to "making" one. I do like ioto for it's
memorability though. I'll remember it _far_ more easily than genSequence or
makeSequence. But it _is_ a case where the name effectively has nothing to
do with the function itself, which is generally a bad idea. Of course, there
are plenty of other things in Computer Science like that - like string - but
they're generally known and iota isn't.

At this point, if we _have_ to change iota, then I'd go for genSequence, but
it's fine with me if it stays.

- Jonathan M Davis