Whither Tango?

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Sun Feb 21 23:53:55 PST 2010

On 2/21/2010 23:07, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> I don't see how iota makes the rest of phobos harder to learn. It's one
> poorly named function. All the rest could have brilliant names or absolutely
> horrific names, and iota wouldn't really have any impact on them either way.

Function names don't exist in isolation.  A consistent naming scheme
makes all names that use that scheme easier to learn.  Adding an
inconsistently named function to a set of consistently named functions
doesn't just make that function harder to learn, but it obscures the
naming scheme.

The effect of a single poorly named function may seem insignificant, but
the cumulative effect of a hundred poorly named function is huge.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com