D hates to be dynamic linked

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Mon Feb 22 01:34:26 PST 2010

Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> 5. To share gc-collected objects between different DLLs, a common
> phobos-DLL seems necessary. Extracting the GC into a separate DLL and
> using the proxy-mechanism to attach any other client-DLL to it seems
> feasable, but are there other things that need to be shared between
> different phobos-instances? What about exception-handling?

Sounds like you have the right idea; that sounds similar to the
way Microsoft does it with MFC DLL's.  If I recall correctly,
when MFC applications are DLL based, you link with a common C runtime
DLL as well.  This way all memory allocations and frees are handled
by the common C runtime DLL (i.e. single point of responsibility).
Presumably a similar regime for D and the GC would be necessary.