Back in the game: Numerics in D

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Tue Feb 23 04:04:22 PST 2010

Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> I completely agree.  And I really don't think there is a lot more that
> needs to be done with the language -- I find D code as easy to read as
> Python code, and more elegant.  The performance issue is a matter of
> allowing the compilers to mature, which will happen now that D2 is frozen.

True. Since IFTI is implemented, I don't see any major show stoppers. Of
course, implementing a template expression numerical library a la
Boost++ will be a stress test for D and I expect to find a number of
rough edges, but that's actually part of the challenge of this project...

> Personally, I have a strong belief that D could and should replace
> FORTRAN and C(++) as the language of choice for numerical scientists.

That's exactly my dream!

 > [...]
> >   http://www.dsource.org/projects/scid
> [...]
>   http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ScientificLibraries

Indeed, there is plenty of groundwork to start out from. I have not
really started going through it, but I would make it part of my project
to organize these community contributions.