Heap memory limit?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Feb 23 05:48:18 PST 2010

Lars T. Kyllingstad:
> On Linux you can use the shell's built-in 'ulimit' command to set such a
> limit

My idea was the opposite (and similar to how Java works on Windows): to set a default limit that's always present unless you specify you want more memory. As usual, if using too much memory is seen as a danger (and it can make a system unstable, so I think it's a small safety thing, that's probably why Java has such limit), then to avoid such danger you have make the default behaviour the safer one.

Bye,
bearophile