Light-weight threads

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Wed Feb 24 10:33:01 PST 2010

Robert Jacques wrote:
> Norbert, you are confusing threads with fibers. OS Threads have never
> been, nor will ever be, "light-weight" in any sense of the word.

What I had in mind were discussions about OSes that make thread creation
extremely cheap, but indeed: OS threads will probably always carry
sufficient overhead to leave plenty of room for application-level
mechanism...

Does anyone know how expensive thread creation is for typical and for
experimental OSes? How does this compare to the overhead of initializing
thread-local data? I.e.: How much should one actually worry about TLS?