Does functional programming work?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jan 1 12:19:25 PST 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:hhgvqk$8cj$2 at digitalmars.com...
>> An interesting counterpoint to the usual FP hype:
>>
>> http://prog21.dadgum.com/55.html
>
> Didn't read the original article, but the one being linked to is completely
> in line with how I feel about not just FP, but all programming paradigms,
> for example, OO: It's great as long as you don't pull a Java or (worse yet)
> a Smalltalk and try to cram *everything* into the paradigm.

I agree, the old programming-language-as-religion problem. I first ran
into this when I read the original Pascal book, and became enamored with
it. I tried doing a modest project in Pascal using a pure Pascal compiler.

80% went smoothly, the other 20% spent wrestling with the nanny language
tsk-tsking consumed nearly 100% of the time spend on the project. I just
couldn't get things that had to be done, done, as the language would
shut off all the avenues.

When I then picked up K+R C, I never wrote another line of Pascal. It so
soured me on Pascal that I never got on the later bandwagons of Modula
II, Delphi, TurboPascal, etc. Never even looked at them.