Concurrency architecture for D2

Nick B "nick_NOSPAM_.barbalich" at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 17:25:13 PST 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Nick B wrote:

>> Andrei
>>
>> Will you be inviting Bartosz to participate, or have you already has
>> discussions with him ? He has written a number of  blogs around this
>> issue.
>>
>> Nick B
>
> I'm not sure about Bartosz' and Walter's thoughts. I personally think
> that past experience suggests that collaboration would be difficult. No
> less than three attempts to work together on threads ranging from design
> to implementation have failed, in spite of everybody's best intentions.
>
> Andrei

Andrei

Very interesting to see that you and Walter tried three times !!

In Bartosz reply on 14 Oct 2009, [subject: Re: Revamped concurrency
API], detailing his detachment from the D community, he gave this
opinion: " I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's hard for me to
subscribe to the "good enough" philosophy (as long as it's better that
C++, it's fine for D)".  If the three of you, can't agree on approach
and architecture then I suspect, there is little to be said further.

All I can ask is:

1.  if you could re-read his blog posts on this subject.

2.   Can you explain further this comment (see above ref) by Bartosz:
" The semantics of "shared". I can live with postponing the
implementation of the race-free type system, but not with the compiler
inserting barriers around all shared reads and writes, even inside
synchronized sections. "

3. Finally, is this a requirement to be finished for your book, or is
this a separate issue ?

cheers
Nick B