output ranges: by ref or by value?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 10:23:09 PST 2010

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:06:25 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:45:35 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

>>> Oh, besides it doesn't work for struct ranges that iterate one-pass
>>> streams.
>>  What does save do in those cases?
>>  -Steve
>
> It provides a syntactic differentiation between input ranges and forward
> ranges.
>
> STL's input iterators are syntactically indistinguishable from forward
> iterators. Because of that, all STL algorithms that expect forward
> ranges will also compile and run with input ranges, although never with
> the expected result. This has been a lingering problem with C++98, and a
> key motivator for concepts. Since syntactic differences cannot be used
> to distinguish between input and forward iterators, the reasoning went,
> we need something else as a discriminator - and that would be a concept:
> someone who defines an input iterator declares it obeys the input
> iterator concept, whereas someone defining a forward iterator declares
> it obeys the forward iterator concept.
>
> During the meltdown of concepts, a number of people including Bjarne
> Stroustrup and myself have suggested that a simple workable solution
> would be to define an extra function a la "save" that is used in
> algorithms and only supported by forward iterators, but not by input
> iterators. Then, algorithms use save() and will correctly refuse to
> compile calls with input iterators. The remaining risk is that someone
> writes an algorithm and forgets to use save().

Would it not be as useful then to just define attributes on the type and
save a bunch of useless/weird looking code?

that is, have an enum value inside the type that defines its state can be
saved.  It seems to me like save is the equivalent of that anyways, since
its possible to forget to use it, and still have your code compile.

Basically, it appears to me that save either a) doesn't compile or b) is
the equivalent of assignment.  It doesn't seem to add much to the
functionality.

This is all except for classes, which I think have no business being
ranges in the first place.

-Steve