Does functional programming work?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Jan 4 04:26:01 PST 2010

Mon, 04 Jan 2010 07:50:12 -0200, Ary Borenszweig wrote:

> retard wrote:

>>> I agree, the old programming-language-as-religion problem. I first ran
>>> into this when I read the original Pascal book, and became enamored
>>> with it. I tried doing a modest project in Pascal using a pure Pascal
>>> compiler.
>>>
>>> 80% went smoothly, the other 20% spent wrestling with the nanny
>>> language tsk-tsking consumed nearly 100% of the time spend on the
>>> project. I just couldn't get things that had to be done, done, as the
>>> language would shut off all the avenues.
>>>
>>> When I then picked up K+R C, I never wrote another line of Pascal. It
>>> so soured me on Pascal that I never got on the later bandwagons of
>>> Modula II, Delphi, TurboPascal, etc. Never even looked at them.
>>
>> The programming-language-as-religion problem exists only in your
>> imagination.
>
> You don't have an idea how many times I heard the phrase "Please,
> please, let this work" out of a programmer's mouth in front of a
> computer.

Now what does that prove? That the person has religious beliefs or that
programming languages are religions? My point was, it's just stupid to
claim that some languages like ML or Iswim are religions. They were
originally built for scientific use, namely for proving mathematical
properties of some systems and as a proof of concept. I guess lolcode
isn't a religion in your book because not only is it useless, it's fun
unlike most functional languages.