Porting C# code

Brien reply at tolist.com
Thu Jan 7 13:50:38 PST 2010

Don Wrote:

> > Ok, that's good to know.  I assumed because D billed itself as a "systems" programming language that performance would be paramount.
>
> He's talking about his converter program, not about D!

Oops, sorry about the misinterpretation.

> > I'm sure I'm the millionth person to ask this, but- is there a language out there that is bare metal like C/C++ with the friendlier syntax and developer productivity of Java/C#?
>
> D is trying to be exactly that. We don't have the infrastructure yet,
> though. So the productivity gains are a bit theoretical at present...

Cool.

That being the case, I'm not sure I can give up my addiction to Jetbrains Resharper.  Do you think a fully automated translation from C#->D is possible so that I can continue to primary develop using C# tools?  I'm not too worried about library support- I can reimplement whatever I need, just the language itself.

Also, is the threading support and memory model of D1.0 solid and performant?  I'm a little unclear about how synchronization is achieved.  I see the synchronized keyword and I've seen some references to using mutexes, but I don't really have a clear picture.

Thanks