Porting C# code

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 14:59:32 PST 2010

On 01/07/2010 10:50 PM, Brien wrote:
> Don Wrote:
>
>>> Ok, that's good to know.  I assumed because D billed itself as a "systems" programming language that performance would be paramount.
>>
>> He's talking about his converter program, not about D!
>
> Oops, sorry about the misinterpretation.
>
>>> I'm sure I'm the millionth person to ask this, but- is there a language out there that is bare metal like C/C++ with the friendlier syntax and developer productivity of Java/C#?
>>
>> D is trying to be exactly that. We don't have the infrastructure yet,
>> though. So the productivity gains are a bit theoretical at present...
>
> Cool.
>
> That being the case, I'm not sure I can give up my addiction to Jetbrains Resharper.  Do you think a fully automated translation from C#->D is possible so that I can continue to primary develop using C# tools?  I'm not too worried about library support- I can reimplement whatever I need, just the language itself.
>
> Also, is the threading support and memory model of D1.0 solid and performant?  I'm a little unclear about how synchronization is achieved.  I see the synchronized keyword and I've seen some references to using mutexes, but I don't really have a clear picture.
>
> Thanks

Wouldn't it be more efficient for you and the code to implement the
performance critical parts as a library in D and use that in C#? D can
easily do extern(C) so it's not much work, much less probably than
massaging an automated port.

If you go with D1 take a look at the ldc compiler and the tango
documentation for class libraries (these should contain a fair bit of
information):

www.dsource.org/projects/tango
www.dsource.org/projects/ldc