Concurrency architecture for D2

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jan 8 00:50:26 PST 2010

Michel Fortin wrote:
> Also keep in mind that we don't really need a shared vision among
> everyone. What's needed is someone who takes the decisions. Discussion
> is only needed to help that person take the right decisions. Although
> consensus among all members certainly boosts the decider
> self-confidence, it is not required, and not necessarily desirable
> either. A consensus among only a few key people is all that is needed,
> and this has little to do with who is allowed to raise issues and
> propose solutions.

The real problem with a concurrency model is that very few programmers
understand the issues. The failed Java concurrency model is an example
of this shortage. For another, about 5 years ago I attended a panel of
30 of the top C++ experts in the world to discuss a concurrency model
for C++0x.

It didn't take long for it to become obvious that exactly two people
understood the issues - Hans Boehm and Herb Sutter. The rest of us sat
there slack-jawed and drooling, asking endless inane questions. I wish I
had the patience Hans and Herb showed in dealing with this.

Since then I have tried to master this topic, but I don't have much
experience writing complex multithreaded code. So what we need are
people who are experienced with MT code who can evaluate the design to
see if we missed the boat or not. I'd rather not shoot at the moon yet
wind up orbiting some asteroid.