Compiler: Size of generated executable file

Chris invalid at invalid.invalid
Sun Jan 10 03:25:16 PST 2010

"Nick Sabalausky":
> "Ph":
>> Why a generated file is so huge? [...]
> That's not even a third of a megabyte, why does this keep getting brought
> up as an issue by so many people?

Execution speed perhaps, since the time elapsed is proportional to the
number of processor instruction executed. This explains why some people
(for certain time critical apps) do not even take the step from C to C++,
and chose to stay 20 year behind "modern" languages.

D presented itself being a high level language suitable for system
programming, so executable sizes must be taken into consideration, imho.

Year after year I see the sizes of overbloated executables to grow with
non-proportional added substance. I am totally shocked when for only to
add a reference to an external library, my program burn the space
of an entire computer of old good days.

I simply can't get used to it, and probably never will for anyone who
used to code in low-level languages, since they know how much
a program size can really be.