Compiler: Size of generated executable file

grauzone none at example.net
Sun Jan 10 13:02:11 PST 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I'd rather use an app that did a bunch of compile-time reflection than one
> that did a bunch of run-time reflection. And I think that 50..100 MB figure

The question is: what will cause more overhead? Compile time or runtime
reflection? For some use cases, you'll have compile time reflection to
generate the runtime type information, which can only cause overhead.
The situation would be fine if the code used for generating the runtime
info would be run only at compile time, but in reality the code ends up
in the final executable, causing severe overhead. Plus it will increase
compile times, anyway.