Compiler: Size of generated executable file

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 18:45:08 PST 2010

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> It's actually a nice program. My point was that the era of tiny
> executables has long since passed.

<rant>

Vote++.  I'm convinced that there's just a subset of programmers out there that
will not use any high-level programming model, no matter how much easier it makes
life, unless they're convinced it has **zero** overhead compared to the crufty old
C way.  Not negligible overhead, not practically insignificant overhead for their
use case, not zero overhead in terms of whatever their most constrained resource
is but nonzero overhead in terms of other resources, but zero overhead, period.

Then there are those who won't make any tradeoff in terms of safety,
encapsulation, readability, modularity, maintainability, etc., even if it means
their program runs 15x slower.  Why can't more programmers take a more pragmatic
attitude towards efficiency (among other things)?  Yes, noone wants to just
gratuitously squander massive resources, but is a few hundred kilobytes (fine,
even a few megabytes, given how cheap bandwidth and storage are nowadays) larger
binary really going to make or break your app, especially if you get it working
faster and/or with less bugs than you would have using some cruftier, older, lower
level language that produces smaller binaries?

</rant>