Compiler: Size of generated executable file

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Jan 12 15:12:33 PST 2010

Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:59:38 -0500, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:48:31PM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Unfortunately, sizeof(exe + dll) == sizeof(exe) + sizeof(dll)
>
> Actually, sizeof(exe + dll) < sizeof(exe) + sizeof(dll) in most cases.

That's for sure. If I look at my current desktop setup, for example all
xfce and kde packages depend on the same dedicated libraries. This way
the applications stay really small and as much code as possible can be
shared. Many applications are only 3 kB large, many others are between 10
and 100 kB. If they all used static linking, I'm afraid I would have to
buy another 32 GB ssd disk only for the binaries.