Compiler: Size of generated executable file

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:57:06 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:09:01PM -0300, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> In Linux, using a distribution, you have a pretty good change that dynamic
> libraries are used by more than one program.

That's actually not true. I ran a program on my system a long time ago that
ran ldd against everything in /bin, /lib, and all the various variants.

http://arsdnet.net/lib-data-sorted.txt

Notice that the *vast* majority of those libraries are used by only a
handful of binaries on the system. Half has five or fewer users.

This is slightly biased by not counting dynamically loaded things; ldd
only does statically requested shared libs. But I doubt that changes things
significantly.

Also note how at the bottom of the list, users go up quickly - the basic
system libraries are used by a great many apps. Most everything else is
pretty specialized though.

I don't remember where I put the source to the program that generated that
list, but it isn't too hard to recreate; it just counts references that
ldd outputs.

> typeinfo/template bloat too to analyze in the executables bloat

I'm sure the linker  will eventually take care of templates.

As to typeinfo, does D need it anymore? It seems like templates obsolete
most the typeinfo now.

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net