@disable

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 14:14:25 PST 2010

Leandro Lucarella wrote:

>> I think auto just means inferred type.
>
> That seems to be the case then... So Ali Çehreli was right and I was
> wrong.

Oh no... I had already adopted your thinking. :)

> I still like my logic better, I will keep thinking that auto is a real
> storage class and ignore this whole thread =P

The points that made my think my way are:

- auto is a whitespace word in C and C++; so there was no need for a
language like D2, which does not have backward compatibility concerns,
to keep it

- auto has a new meaning in C++0x: "infer the type from the
initializer". As D2's and C++0x' developments overlapped in time; it was
easy to assume that this feature was the same and was shared between
these related languages

I was happy about my logic until this thread. :)

Ali