D Language 2.0

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Jan 18 00:07:36 PST 2010

Daniel wrote:
> I don't think I like D 2.0 over 1.0.  Before you all run out to get me some tissue, I figured I'd explain my
> rationale.
[snip]
> Things D missed:
>
> cent and ucent should be available via SSE.  Over 97% of computers now have it and I still can't even assign to an
> SSE register?

SSE does NOT have cent or ucent. What it does have is float[4], which
became a value type just a few compiler releases ago.

> Don Clungston had some excellent code written up in BLADE found on dsource 2 years ago.  Shouldn't that have
> become part of D native?

In a sense, it has. Array operations are the perfect front-end for it,
which has made my original code largely obsolete. The back-end code
generation is still not in place, but it's a matter of time. There are
so many things to do...