What if D would require * for reference types?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jan 18 08:25:33 PST 2010

On 2010-01-18 10:50:58 -0500, Trass3r <un at known.com> said:

> Using * would heavily confuse people coming from C.
> I like the way it is now, class being reference and struct a value type.

I don't follow this reasoning. C has pointers. D has pointers and
reference types (objects). If you remove reference types from D, D will
have only pointers, for which C folks are already familiar with. How is
that confusing to people with a C background?

If your case was that it'd be confusing to people coming from Java,
then I'd understand better, as Java has reference types and no
pointers. Or people with a C# background, since C# has both pointers
and reference types. But C?

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com