What if D would require * for reference types?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 09:30:06 PST 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:12:06 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think we are too late for D2, the book is pretty much finished except
> for the concurrency chapter.  It is a great idea though, I would have
> loved to see this happen before D2 was released.  Maybe D3 can have this
> change.

I forgot one really really important requirement -- a class reference
needs to not be a general pointer.

For example:

Foo *foo;
foo++; // must be equivalent to foo.opInc(), not add one to the pointer.

This may be the death knell of the idea.  I don't see Walter accepting
similar syntaxes to be drastically different, and distinguishing safe D as
not using pointers is going to be a huge problem if you can't use classes.

-Steve