D Language 2.0

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 21:14:02 PST 2010

Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> retard wrote:
>> Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:43:54 +0000, BCS wrote:
>>
>>> It might be a case of NIH, but that doesn't handle fractional units (for
>>> example MPa*m^1/2 is used in fracture mechanics and I suspect that they
>>> are fairly common as intermediate values in solving equations in odd
>>> directions).
>>
>> You can fix that by encoding the power of each unit as a fraction. No
>> big deal. That's a good observation, though.
>
> He already did. :)
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/scrapple/browser/trunk/units
>
> -Lars

Alright.

One other nit then.  What if I want to extend it to add more types of units?

I've had occasion to use odd units like "tiles" or "pixels" or "sectors"
and things like that when writing games.  Then there's money.  Also all
of the imperial units that I don't care about, as well as the more
obscure physical units.  I don't expect any of this to come out of the
box, but it'd be nice to be able to easily add new types of units by
defining what kind of quantity they describe (perhaps as a compile time
string) and what the scaling factor is to another known unit (unless
it's axiomatic).

At any rate I'd love to have guarantee that my units are correct.  This
kind of stuff has cost me soooo much debugging and frustration in the
past.