D Language 2.0

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Jan 19 03:16:23 PST 2010

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:52:24 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> dsimcha wrote:
>> == Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
>>> Also, if you're only writing a few K of code, D's advantages aren't
>>> that compelling over C (and neither are C++'s). It's when the size of
>>> the program increases that D's strengths really begin to dominate.
>>
>> ????  For small projects, D is still a huge improvement over C.
>> Templates, arrays that "just work", a sane import system, an OO system,
>> and most importantly a standard library built to take advantage of
>> these, is useful even in tiny 100-line programs.  Even if all you're
>> doing is writing a command line app to read in data from a file,
>> perform a few calculations, and print the results to stdout, do you
>> really want to deal with C's horribly low-level string and file I/O
>> handling?
>

> I suppose C is like a screwdriver. If it's in my hand, and there's just
> one screw, I'll just go ahead and use it rather than go to the garage to
> get my power screwdriver. More than one screw, and I'll get the power
> screwdriver. If they're sitting next to each other, I'll grab the power
> screwdriver regardless.

At least there's much less trouble setting up the development environment
for a C program. This is important when you distribute the program in
source form. The same thing happens with version control systems and
build systems. You could use DSSS or darcs, but in many cases the
potential users only have 'make' and svn or only know how to use those.
That's why sometimes inferior technology has to be chosen for the project.