Invalid pointer reference

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Jan 19 03:23:39 PST 2010

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:00:50 -0500, Bane wrote:

> bearophile Wrote:
>
>> Another of those billion dollar mistakes D2 will not be able to avoid!
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/979352.mspx
>>
>> >Our investigation so far has shown that Internet Explorer 5.01 Service
>> >Pack 4 on Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 is not affected, and
>> >that Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 on Microsoft Windows 2000
>> >Service Pack 4, and Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7 and
>> >Internet Explorer 8 on supported editions of Windows XP, Windows
>> >Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and
>> >Windows Server 2008 R2 are vulnerable. The vulnerability exists as an
>> >invalid pointer reference within Internet Explorer. It is possible
>> >under certain conditions for the invalid pointer to be accessed after
>> >an object is deleted. In a specially-crafted attack, in attempting to
>> >access a freed object, Internet Explorer can be caused to allow remote
>> >code execution.<
>>
>> In future if I can I'll keep posting here other widely destructive
>> examples of this class of bugs.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> Sad but true, until D becomes so mainstream that it becomes tool for
> making such software, I don't think there will be people trying to find
> and abuse such bugs.
>
> And yes, pointers can be pain in the butt - that's why I switched to D
> :D

[OT] D is still too low level for extremely reliable software. I don't
know how Bjarne and M$ developers feel now, but because of low level
languages, the rumor says that chinese have stolen world class US trade
secrets and also got information about innocent dissidents who vote for
democracy in order to assassinate them later.